What is Religion?
· the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
· a particular system of faith and worship.
· a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
What is Spirituality?
· the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
Can you be spiritual without being religious?
· You do not adhere to any particular religion, but you believe there is a higher power. You can believe in multiple different types of religion and create your own conclusions about faith.
Can you be LGBTQ+ and religious? YES
The Christian Bible says being LGBTQ is a sin.
A further look
"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin." (NLT)
"If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense." (NLT)
Sounds a little scary, but what about this?
“A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.”
Interesting that homosexuality appears to be a sin but also wearing clothes of a different sex is also a sin?
Above are images of how Jesus is usually depicted. Does it not appear that he is wearing what we would consider today to be a dress, or long skirt? Also notice the long hair which is more feminine today.
What about past rulers, Kings of Europe?
It appears the former King of England was wearing some nice tights, and a dress. The French king is also wearing nice white tights, a longer dress and even high heels, as well as long hair
So what about a female wearing pants, a man with a towel around his waist and a man in a kilt? A Muslim woman and a Muslim man with long dresses and a man in tights. Are they sinning?
Therefore, how does a religious book justify clothing to be a sin? If being LGBTQ is a sin but so is wearing the clothes of a different sex, then who decides what is sinful and what is not? It could be argued that even people that follow the bible very closely and judge others are actually sinning daily, just by what they are wearing.